In many cases, a robbery or theft situation may be able to be prevented. Taking simple actions can help prevent this situation from occurring to you and someone else.
Consider doing the following:
- When you leave your room, lock your door. Even if you are just going down the hall for a minute, lock your door.
- When working in a public area, do not leave your phone, laptop, bag, or other valuables unattended. Take them with you or have a friend watch them if you must leave.
- If you see someone or something suspicious, call University Police IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait to call. Call as soon as you see something. This may include someone hanging around a car and looking inside of the windows, someone looking inside of empty offices, etc…
- Lock your car doors, and do not leave valuables visible.
- Do not walk alone late at night. Walk in groups. If you are concerned, contact University Police.
If you are confronted with a robbery or theft situation:
- Do what you are told by the person(s) without argument during a robbery.
- Encourage others around you to do the same.
- As soon as it is safe, immediately contact University Police: 334-4444 or use an emergency blue light phone/classroom intercom. Provide as many details as possible:
- A description of the individual(s).
- Were weapons displayed/involved? Is so, what kind?
- Were threats made?
- Where is the person(s) currently? Which direction did they go when they left?
- Was anyone hurt?
- Any other information you feel is important.
- Do not attempt to argue or negotiate with the person(s).
- Have some maintain visual contact with the person(s), only if it is possible to do so from a safe distance/location. Do not attempt to follow the person(s), especially if weapons were displayed.
- Follow the instructions of University Police.
- If you notice something has been stolen when you return your room, office or other location, immediately contact University Police.
For more information on how you should prepare and respond to a robbery on campus, contact University Police at 334-5963.
In the event of any emergency, know who to call:
- On-Campus: Contact Campus Police – 336.334.4444
- Off-Campus: Contact 911
Office of Emergency Management: