While rare, it is important to prepare for an armed intruder situation just as you prepare for other types of emergencies. An armed intruder is defined by a person actively threatening lives in a populated area, and generally involves the use of firearms. These situations evolve very rapidly, and require individuals to make decisions very quickly. Each situation is unique, and how to best respond to an armed intruder situation will be determined by the specific circumstances at the time of the event. If you find yourself faced with an armed intruder situation, try to remain calm and use the general guidelines outlined below to help make the best plan possible.
If an armed intruder is in the Same Building as You or Outside of Your Building:
- Go to a room that can be locked, and lock the door behind you. If you cannot locate a room that will lock, find a room that you can barricade the door. Barricade the door with tables, book cases, and other heavy items.
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked.
- Turn off the lights.
- If possible, get everyone on the floor so no one is visible from outside the room
- Silence cell phones and similar devices.
- Contact University Police (334-4444) and inform them of what is happening and where you are.
- Remain in place until you are instructed by the police that it is safe to leave the room. Note: Do not respond to any unfamiliar voices until you can verify their identity, as it may be the shooter attempting to lure victims from safety.
- Remember: Always follow the instructions of law enforcement. Keep your hands visible, and do not make any unexpected movements.
If an armed intruder enters your Office/Area/Classroom:
- Try to remain calm.
- Contact University Police (334-4444) if possible.
- If there is absolutely no opportunity to escape or hide, attempting to “fight back” or “overpower” the shooter may be your only option. This should be considered as a last resort.
- If the shooter leaves the area, immediately proceed to a safer location and contact University Police: 334-4444. Provide as much information as possible.
If you decide to Flee:
- Do not attempt to carry anything.
- Move quickly, keep your hands visible, and follow the instructions of any police officers you may encounter.
- Do not attempt to move injured people. Contact University Police immediately, and notify them of the situation and the location of the injured individuals.
For more information on you should prepare and respond to an armed intruder situation on campus, contact University Police at 334-5963.
In the event of any emergency, know who to call:
- On-Campus: Contact Campus Police – 336.334.4444
- Off-Campus: Contact 911
Office of Emergency Management: